I don’t post a lot about the music I listen to, mainly because, it’s everything, or Channel 10 on Sirius. But with my new spring goal of running/walking a half-marathon, I need to have some playlists handy. So, I have surfed iTunes and other sources (Pandora!) to get my favorites together.
I just can’t run or walk without beats, mostly because, I don’t like the sound of my breathing. I will over analyze the crud out of it.
Am I breathing too fast? Can I talk? Do I hear a wheeze? Oh gee, if someone runs by me they are going to think I am DYING. Oh crap, I am dying. Listen to my breathing!
And so, I crank up the tunes to drown out the “voices” in my head.
And I just go…..to the beat….to the words…..to the drums…to the energy or emotion of the tune. I listen and move to whatever it is that keeps me shuffling along.
Sometimes, when my mileage is up, I am sad I have to stop. It’s usually on my favorite! song. Ha.
Here are my top 5 picks. I am attaching what YouTube calls the “official” video.
1. Snow Patrol – Called out in the Dark. The album was just released. It is amazing. Love this band!
Stadium of my Heart…this one is for you!
2. David Guetta (feat. Usher) – Without you. I love how the beat is slow and then fast. Perfect for alternating a walk run.
3. Cobra Starship – You make me Feel…. This is a fantastic song. I love the lyric – if you listen you can hear me through the radio in the bright white noise – it just reminds me of how big, and electronic our world is. Can we hear each other through the bright white noise?
4. The Band Perry – If I die young. I am from Oklahoma. I love a good twangy song. It is a little disturbing that it’s a song about dying young, but there is something about it that haunts me. I just have to hear it. Maybe, it’s the sound of sad.
5. The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army. Just so you have an older song on the list. I just discovered it not long ago on Pandora and have loved it ever since. It has a super catchy beat to run to.
I’ll keep you updated on my tune list as my training progresses. It will be a very musical three months. Wish me luck!
15 thoughts on “My Top Five Music Picks”
Not sure if this is your genre of music but Nicki Manaj has a lot of upbeat songs…but word for the warning…lots of profanity in some songs.
Also The Lady…as in Gaga…gets me moving.
Kimberly – I have SuperBass on my playlist. She is awesome! I loved her on Ellen with that little girl that sang her song. Too cute! I like Lady Gaga too. We are some jamming hip mama’s. Ha!
When I would go to the gym I loaded up on Britney Spears. I know, I know but her upbeat songs are perfect for it!
No shame in that! I have one of her recent songs on my playlist I Wanna Go….
Awhh! Thanks Larissa! I am gonna need it…….. for real!</em.
Snap. I am on my computer to post on my blog and I am having writer’s block so I popped over here, not enough time to listen to your songs. I think the only one I am familiar with is “If I Die Young.”
Here’s a list you can try:
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap / AC/DC
Thunderstruck / AC/DC
Let’s Go Crazy / Prince
I Would Die 4 U / Prince
Alphabet St / Prince
Out of Control / Beast
Sugar, We’re Goin Down / Fall Out Boy
You might like it. I think it is very energetic. 🙂
Ohhhh! I love AC/DC and the Prince songs. I will have to check out the Beast one. Thank-you for the suggestions!
Beast I discovered via the FREE download song that Starbucks gives away. I LOVED it so I bought the entire album and it is really good (I think).
I came back to listen to your picks because I wanted to hear them, but didn’t have time when I originally read the post. Turns out I have hear more than just the country one. I’ve heard “You Make Me Feel.” I like that one. It is very dancy. And I have heard the last one too. I think I heard it on Pandora too.
Thanks for sharing!
Seven Nation Army always gets me pumped up!
Cool list and a slightly different type of post. Loving the variety. Snow Patrol is great, and the White Stripes are one of my top bands. You should listen to more of their stuff and let me know what ya think!
I love if I die Young, so catchy!
Have you heard of Jack White’s solo album? He hadn’t been in the game after being so wishy washy switching bands. His solo album, Blunderbuss, is his redeeming album. Had it looping for 10 days in my car.
No, but I trust your judgement and I will go look him up. I love when you can just let an album loop. That is a beautiful thing. Thank-you!